O'Fallon Family Taken to Hospital For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The St Charles County Ambulance District paramedics and O'Fallon fire fighters responded to a call on Dec. 26.
An O'Fallon family was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning early Monday morning.
When emergency responders arrived, one adult and two children standing outside the home appeared to have reddish colored faces and complained of feeling light headed. One family member was still inside the home.
According to Martin Limpert, spokesman for St Charles County Ambulance District, O'Fallon firefighters entered the residence with a CO detector and discovered a very high reading of 900 parts per million (ppm). They wore a self contained oxygen breathing apparatus when re-entering the home, and escorted the remaining patient to the ambulance.
All four patients were transported to the hospital and have since been released.
Scott Avery, public information officer for O'Fallon Fire Protection District, said after reports of CO poisoning, homeowners usually have their appliances inspected. He added, if the furnace is turned off, a home should be safe from CO poisoning.
Limpert said this is the first serious CO poisoning this year, due in part to the mild winter. He encouraged everyone to have a CO detector in their home.
According to St. Charles County Ambulance District:
- The health effects of CO depend on the CO concentration and length of exposure, as well as each individual's health condition.
- Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm, but some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain.
- As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headache, fatigue and nausea.
- At sustained CO concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness and death are possible.