Top 10 Gifts for Guys
Shop around O'Fallon to find that special something for every guy on your list.
With just two days to spare, some of you may be scrambling to the store to finish that last minute Christmas shopping to find something for the guys on your list. If the mall seems like too much to handle at this point, take a look at O'Fallon Patch's guide to last minute local shopping.
- For the Man searching for Man's Best Friend… Giving a gift doesn't necessarily mean it must be ordinary or an inanimate object. Shop for the unexpected, while providing a home for a furry friend. Every Sunday from 12 - 2 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 – 4 p.m., Heartland Humane Society of Missouri holds cat adoptions at the PetSmart off of Highway K. Both cats and dogs are looking for a place to call home. PRICE: $80-$175
- For the Snuggly Guy of Any Age… Upon seeing their wide-eyed or grimacing faces, one can't help to find Ugly Dolls, well ugly, but oddly cute as well. These unfortunate faced dolls are as soft as a blanket and stuffed with fluff, ready for cuddling. Pocketful of Toys off Winghaven provides an extensive collection of the dolls, from key chains and action figures, to stuffed creations in all sizes, shapes and colors. But Uppy, Bop, Beep, Mr. Kasoogi and all his monster-esque friends aren't limited to just the youngsters on your list. PRICE: $6-$50
- For the Host… What better way to show up to a party with gift-in-hand? How about bringing along a gift to share with everyone? In doing so, you're pleasing the crowd, while scoring brownie points with the host. To show your appreciation for the invite, stop by the French Gourmet Bakery and Café and pick up a lemon custard cake, fruit tart or mini-pastry tray to split amongst guests. PRICE: $10-$31
- For the Connoisseur… Stop by Serenity Valley Winery and scope out boutique wines both red and white. Buy by the bottle or buy by the glass. Treat the connoisseur on your list to a bottle or to a gift certificate to experience this quaint setting themselves. PRICE: $14-$20 per bottle.
- For the Bragger… The Brag Book received a makeover with the help of digital picture frames, but now you can bring your pictures along with you wherever you go with the convenience of a keychain cycling through over 60 color photos. The Coby frame which can be found at Wal-Mart runs on a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery and simply connects to your computer for fast file transfers. Go the extra mile and preload some personal photos before giving the gift. The perfect present for braggers of all ages and makes for a thoughtful gift at a low price. PRICE: $10
- For the Old School Music Lover… Walk in to Music Reunion and you'll immediately see why it's a music lover's paradise. Posters line the walls, CD's fill the shelves and LP's cover the store. Whether his musical preference is classical, rock, or dance, this buy-trade-sell shop will have something that will have him reminiscing about the good 'ole days. PRICE: LP $0.25-$15. LP boxed sets $100-$150.
- For the One-of-a-Kind… Kids and moms alike will have a blast with their creative juices flowing at The Painted Pot, where they can paint a one-of-a-kind gift for dad, grandpa or whoever they wish. A snowman ornament, gingerbread plate and Santa mug are just a few pieces available for painting. Price of a piece includes cost of paint, paint time, dipping and firing. All pieces are non-toxic and dishwasher safe which makes for a gift that can be used again and again. PRICE: $8-$34.
- For the Money Conscientious… Batteries are used with almost every kid's toy these days and seeming to require more batteries than ever. Investing in a battery charger such as Duracell's AA charger, could save a bundle in the long run. Various brands are offered at Target, and for just a small cost, you provide the receiver with a gift that keeps on giving endless hours of power for a fraction of the cost. PRICE: Set of 4 AA batteries with charger $21, additional set of 4 pre-charged AA's $15.
- For the Learner… Is there someone on your list who wants to learn to play an instrument? Mozingo Music offers lessons of all kinds whether it's drums, guitar, piano, percussion or voice. Rock Band 101 is a seven-week, one and a-half hour instructional group course starting with the basics and concludes with a public concert. And for those with guitar as their niche of interest, six 45-minute group sessions are available, including a free loaner guitar and case. PRICE: $115-$275.
- For the Fizz-Lover… Know someone who loves soda? Give the gift that keeps the pop fizzing, with a water carbonator. This simplistic yet ingenious devise turns ordinary water into a fruity, fizzy alternative. Plus, it's healthier than soda. The secret is found in SodaStream. Found at Kohl's, this carbonator turns water into soda water, giving it a burst of root beer, ginger ale, orange, lemon-lime and cola flavor. Flavors are available in regular, diet and caffeine free. PRICE: SodaStream $110. $6 per flavor.