A man trying to make
methamphetamine in his home had his meth cook fail, spewing toxic chemicals and
fumes in the bathroom and the home, police said.
Police said the bathroom included children’s bath toys and products because he shared the bathroom with his two children, ages 4 and 7.
Allen Keith Goreham, 42, of the first block first block of Elmtree Drive near O’Fallon in St. Charles County, was charged Wednesday with manufacturing meth and two counts of child endangerment.
During a search of a home Oct. 1, St. Charles County Regional Drug Task Force said they discovered:
- A syringe of methamphetamine on the bathroom sink
- A baby jar in the refrigerator that was full of a chemical used to finish meth
- Fuel inside a Mason jar on the bathroom sink
- A variety of ingredients used to make meth
- A burn pile outside with the remains of a discarded meth cook
Goreham brought a plastic bottle in which he was cooking meth inside the bathroom and it failed, spewing fumes and toxic chemicals all over the bathroom, according to a court document.
The home has been condemned.
Goreham and his wife have two children, ages 4 and 7.
Police said that even 12 hours after the bottle failed, the bathroom and the home had “an overwhelmingly strong chemical stench.”
According to a court document, Goreham admitted that he and his wife use meth.
Goreham told an officer he knew making meth inside the home was a threat to his children’s health and safety, police said.
An officer asked Goreham “why he would risk his children’s safety?”
Goreham replied, “Stupidity.”
He is being held in the St. Charles County jail. Bail was set at $30,000, cash only.