The has set three open house dates so that questions about school attendance boundary changes can be addressed.
With construction proceeding on schedule, the district issued a press release stating that 20 new classrooms at will be ready for students in August of 2012. Those new classrooms allow the district to alleviate crowding at .
With the opening of the new high school schedued for 2013, the district has begun the process of changing some school attendance assignments.
The district reports that this is not a school boundary change for the elementary schools. However, there will be a change in school assignments for some middle and high school students.
With nine elementary schools, three middle schools and soon a third high school, the District has an opportunity to realign attendance assignments so all of the students from three elementary schools attend one middle school, and all of those students attend one high school.
To achieve that result, a committee organized by the Administrative Services Department and made up of one parent representative from each school in the District has been organized to determine school attendance assignments. The School Assignment Committee was asked to consider factors such as feeder schools, demographics, and transportation when making their decisions.
After several meetings and careful consideration of the charge, the School Assignment Committee has recommended the following changes for the 2012-13 school year:
- All current fifth-graders at , and attend South Middle School.
- All current fifth-graders at , and attend Frontier Middle School.
- Current sixth- and seventh-graders at Frontier Middle School who live in the Duello or Green Tree Elementary attendance areas would attend South Middle School.
- Current sixth- and seventh-graders that attend South Middle School and live in the Prairie View and Discovery Ridge Elementary attendance areas would attend Frontier Middle School beginning in the 2012-13 school year.
- The current eighth-grade students at Frontier would still attend the high school to which they were previously assigned. The 2012-13 Frontier Middle School eighthg-grade class would become the freshman class of the new high school in 2013-14.
- Students already in high school would not be asked to change schools.
Open House Locations and dates
The District will hold three open house sessions in the coming weeks to answer questions and get feedback and comments from parents and the school community. There will not be a formal presentation, but District administrators will be available to answer questions and explain the process.
The final proposal will go to the Board of Education for approval in early 2012.
- //Heritage, , and Peine Ridge Elementary—Thurs., Dec. 8, Holt High School cafeteria at 7 p.m.
- /South Middle/Boone Trail, Duello, and Green Tree Elementary—Mon., Dec. 12, Timberland High School commons at 7 p.m.
- New High School/ Frontier Middle/Prairie View, Discovery Ridge, and Crossroads Elementary—Wed., Dec. 14, Frontier Middle School cafeteria at 7 p.m.